Banner
Home | Royal/State | Colonial/British States etc | Tokens | Articles & Documents | Bibliography | Delicious icon

17th Century Tokens : Bridport-02 in Dorsetshire

W Numbers refer to Williamson's  Trade Tokens Issued in the Seventeenth Century in England, Wales and Ireland, (1891)

See also other Counties issuing 17th Century Tokens

Click Images to View Coin Details
W39: Dorsetshire, Bridport (Farthing): (1669)
O  A bull passant
THOMAS DASSELL
R  T D
OF BRIDPORT 1669 T D
Image not available
From the Dome-book we find that Thomas Dassell was constable in 1668.

On 26th September, 1655, "Thomas(?) Dossell and Eylanor Bishopp were married," as appears by the register, which contains the names of several children of Thomas "Dossell" from 1664 to 1673; and on 22nd October, 1697, "Thomas Dossell was buried."

W40: Dorsetshire, Bridport (Farthing): (Date Unknown)
O  A roll of tobacco
BEN DEVENISH
R  B M D
OF BRIDPORT B M D
Image not available
W41: Dorsetshire, Bridport (Farthing): (1657)
O  A bull's head
FRANCIS HASTINGS
R  F H
OF BRIDPORT 1657 F H
Image not available
Francis Hastings was one of the bailiffs of the borough in 1664.

The name appears only to have occurred once in the register about this period, and is contained in the following entry:

"The sonn of Frances Hastings was buried the 12th day of May, 1664."

W42: Dorsetshire, Bridport (Farthing): (1668)
O  A unicorn passant
EDWARD PILLEN OF
R  E P
BRIDPORT 1668 E P
Image not available
The following entry in the register is the only one I can find in reference to the issuer of this token:

"Edward Pillen was buried 1 Dec., 1675."

W43: Dorsetshire, Bridport (Farthing): (1666)
O  A pestle and mortar
DANYELL TAYLOR
R  D T
IN BRIDPORT 1666 D T
Image not available
From the Dome-book it appears that Daniel Taylor was overseer in 1680.

The entries relative to him in the register are but meagre, and consist of the following:

"Joseph, the sonn of Danell Taylar," was baptized 16th January, 1695, and a daughter the following year.

Daniel Taylor, who was a Quaker, by deed dated 28th August, 1696, gave a house, called the Quakers' Almshouse, in trust for the use of such poor persons of the borough of Bridport to dwell in as should be appointed by the trustees and their successors.

The same Daniel Taylor by deed dated 31st December, 1708, granted to trustees a house, called the Bull Inn, in East Street, the income of which was to support a Free school at Bridport, the number of scholars to be twelve of the poor inhabitants there, or so many as the clear annual produce of the premises should exceed or fall short of £12.

The Bull Inn still exists in East Street as the principal hotel in Bridport.

(For fuller particulars of these two charities see the Charity Commissioners' Report before alluded to.)

Daniel Taylor was buried in the Friends' Burial Ground, situate in South Street, which he appears to have given to the society. The place still exists as a walled enclosure, but has long been disused for burials.

Upon a large stone, let into the wall over the gateway, is cut in Roman capitals the following inscription:

"1696
Friends Burial Ground
Given by Daniel Taylor of Bridport.
He died the 7th and was buried in this ground the 12th day of 9th Mo 1714
aged 73 years."

In the year 1718 there was published in London a curious little volume, called "The Remains of Daniel Taylor," which contained various testimonials to his worth, in verse and otherwise, by certain of his friends, and also a selection from his own letters to the quarterly meetings of the Society.

To BritishFarthings Home Page


Custom Search

Privacy Policy - Contact - Home

© 2007-2017 BritishFarthings